Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A New Doggie Scare

Well the horrifing day has finally come! Jackson has his first mast cell tumor. It is located on his front left paw, between his two middle digits, and is very ugly to look at though it does not seem to be causing him a lot of pain.

Yesterday, we went to the vet and they did a biopsy. We won't have the results back until Friday, so I am striving to maintain a certain level of calm. I pray that we have caught it early and that it is only a grade one. More then likely he will lose most of the pad that it is connected to, but it is really hard to say until we know more.

Jackson is seven years old this year, and I had been warned repeatedly that he would likely face this challenge. But now that it is here...well, I think that I am mostly still in shock.

Now that it is in my life, I am starting to do some research on the issue. There really is a lot of material out there about it, which is a comfort. There really is a lot of potential for success, especially since he is not yet displaying any of the symptoms or signs that the turmor is spreading in his body. So I will continue to pray for a full recovery. But for now, we remain hopeful, at least till some test result gives me a reality check ;)

1 comment:

The Pyryt Nest said...

I'm so sorry! My parent's dog Jett has been living with this for several years now and it has spread to the lymph nodes. Someone I know pretty much cured their dog by switching to a raw food diet. Just one of many options to research. Good luck.